Although nothing had changed at school in terms of lack of space and specialist rooms to teach in, thanks to good teaching staff, academic standards started to improve. Demand for places was high and the schools maintained 'the confidence of the town'.
Reflecting the growing tension in Europe, by 1913 plans were afoot for a creation of a cadet corps for the boys. In March 1913, the first drill was held, and in May the corps were officially recognised by the County Territorial Association, becoming one of the first cadet corps in the North East.
To view this photo gallery