In 1906 the school had its first ever Board of Education inspection, where it was noted that especially the provision of science was of unsatisfactory standard. Despite many drawbacks, including overcrowding, the inspectors found the tone of the school 'wholesome and salutary', and noted 'the generous provision of scholarships'.
The mostly disappointing report led to the governors reducing the numbers of pupils to the level the school was built for, from 150 to 130 and this improved efficiency and discipline. The criticism of science provision may well have been because the laboratories had been used as classrooms. Disappointingly, the second inspection report in 1909 concluded that the lack of playing fields, assembly hall, art room and laboratory rooms for the girls made it difficult for the schools to improve.